Sunday, December 13, 2020

Largest Afro - Simone Williams Growing Hair Breaks Record For Largest Afro

Largest Afro - Simone Williams Growing Hair Breaks Record For Largest Afro | NYC woman's afro breaks Guinness World Record | Simone Williams now holds the Guinness World Record | Brooklyn Woman Breaks The Guinness World Record 

This woman’s afro is record-breaking. Brooklynite Simone Williams’ afro has officially been certified the biggest in the world by the Guinness World Records. It measures in at 8.07 inches tall, 8.85 inches wide and over 4-foot-10-inches in circumference.

“I Googled ‘world’s largest afro’ and when she came up I was in awe,” Williams told Guinness of her reaction to Aevin Dugas, the previous record-holder, who inspired her to compete for the title. “At the time, I didn’t think my hair was anywhere close to hers, she was goals! But I was so happy to see that she was recognized and there was a chance for others to be recognized too.”

Dugas, a New Orleans-based social worker, held the title for eight years with her natural-grown ‘do, which measured 4-foot-4-inches in circumference.

It took Williams nine years to grow her now unmatched afro, after years of getting perms and straightening her hair from middle school up through college. “I chose to transition [to natural hair] around the age of 23. It began because I wanted to save the money spent at the hair salon to help with the costs of moving into my first apartment,” she said.

Today, she doesn’t go to salons, she told The Post, although she admits that “maintaining my afro can be a task, especially when it comes to detangling.”

She sticks to three products in caring for it, saying she’s not a “product junkie” and rarely tries anything but her trifecta of Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist, Shea Moisture Coconut + Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Eco Style Olive Oil Gel.

“I wash it once a week or every two weeks,” she told The Post. “It takes about six hours to dry since I normally do not use a blowdryer, to avoid heat damage.”

She doesn’t generally style it, but if there’s an occasion “my go-to styles are a curly voluminous afro, a high puff or top bun,” which can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour.

Going out with styled hair consistently gets her lots of compliments and looks, including some confused-seeming stares — but the pride and identity rocking her natural hair gives Williams more than compensates for the gawkers. “From the beginning, my natural hair has been a journey,” she told Guinness. “I most definitely see it as my statement piece.”












No comments:

Post a Comment